Are you addicted to gambling?
Ofter referred to as the "hidden addiction," problem gambling is not as easily detected as substance abuse. It can progress from an emotional dependence on gambling to the point of ultimately destroying the gambler's finances and relationships. These problems then lead to more intense gambling behavior to win back the losses (chasing).
The addiction to "the action" is fueled by the fantasy that one more big win will solve the financial losses, driving you to gamble even harder. There are warning signs that indicate when the fun of social gambling has progressed to a problem.
WARNING SIGNS OF PROBLEM GAMBLING
- Repeated failed attempts to stop or control the gambling
- Lying about the amount of time and money spent on gambling
- Gambling for increasing amounts of time or with increasing amounts of money
- Gambling more money in an attempt to win back losses (chasing)
- Relying on loans or "bailouts" from family or friends to meet financial obligations
- Feelings of helplessness and depression, or thoughts of suicide