Are you addicted to food?
Compulsive overeating is ingesting large quantities of food in short periods of time and can become an addiction. A binge is a way to "swallow" emotions and gives temporary relief from emotional pain, stress, anxiety, depression, anger, or frustration.
A binge is an episode of uncontrolled eating and most binge experiences share several common factors:
- Eating an excessively large amount of food, even when not hungry
- Eating without enjoyment, and often feeling guilt before, during, or after eating
- A sensation of a void that does not get filled no matter how much is eaten.
- Frenzy: eating rapidly without tasting the food
- Feeling out of control and unable to stop eating until uncomfortably full